Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock on Modern Air Combat: Flaming Cliffs 2

Posts all day

Lock on Modern Air Combat: Flaming Cliffs 2

I guess the English version of Flaming Cliffs 2 was released recently. This version connects all player flyable aircraft in the DCS (Digital Combat Simulator). So Black Shark pilots can fly with all the LOMAC planes.

Never really tried the 1st Flaming Cliffs. I had very little interest in flying the Su25. Having all the planes usable in DCS is REAL interesting though. Could make some really cool Co-Op missions with that.

I guess you do need a copy of LOMAC to install Flaming Cliffs 2.0. Although you do not need the original Flaming Cliffs. This expansion runs about $30.

Should note to you IL-2 players. The planes are MUCH easier to fly, unless you stall them out. It's MUCH harder to get a 20-30ton jet out of a spin! Also a little more difficult to manage the targeting systems. Finally, it is a lot easier to die. One solid missile hit will ruin your day. Still is fun as hell to strap into an A-10 and go 'Hog wild' (Heh, get it?) on some armor.

**Here is a linky if anyone else wants to check it out.

http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1671&scr=default
    "One Man with Courage is a Majority" - Motto USS Andrew Jackson (SSBN 619)

The Dude
    Blog Entries
    so is flaming cliffs a free add on?

Posts all day

Negative. It's an expansion pack to the original LOMAC. I think there is a weird ownership issue with UbiSoft and the developers. So the games lifecycle has been strange. Anyway, seems like they tweaked a lot of stuff in it though. Damage, flight model, and mission creation all seem to have been upgraded.

Posts all day

Well I broke down and bought this. SimHQ had a review on it and I had to bite. The main files werent that bad of a download. I just noticed I have to DL all the training files separately though. Going to be a few more hours before i can present some mission reports. Already know the A10 will be my 1st campaign.

Here is the SimHQ article I was reading.

http://simhq.com/_air13/air_439a.html

Let me know how the A-10 campaign is. I've been dying for an A-10 sim since Falcon Gold.

"A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom' . . . and the other twenty percent isn't very important." - Jubal Harshaw

My Rig: Intel i7-860 | EVGA P55 SLI motherboard | 4096MB Crucial DDR3 1333 | EVGA nVidia GTX 570 | Viewsonic 27" LCD

Posts all day

Did get some serious time in on the A10 and I'm loving it so far. I was a little confused about them including the A10 in this and still working on a stand alone DCS A10. I've noticed what the difference must be. DCS Black Shark has a cockpit with every switch usable though the mouse. I imagine the DCS A10 will have that as well. In Flaming Cliffs 2, you have to know all the keyboard controls and cant click on the controls. It's not a deal breaker but it was something I got used to in Black Shark.

As for the game itself. I'm loving the campaign so far. Mission briefings are just like Black Shark. They are very detailed and useful. Also, It is great to get photo intel on the target area. Lots of radio chatter as well. The troops on the ground will direct you to the target in addition to marking the target with smoke. Makes it much easier to figure out what you should actually shoot at.

Shooting at stuff is fun by the way. Havent mastered the dumb bombs yet, but I do have the mavericks down pat. Also gotten pretty good with the avenger cannon. Although I havent been able to crack a T72 with it yet. Kept trying to hit one from every angle with no noticeable results. Pretty neat to see the rounds ricocheting off of armor when you're hammering it though.

Havent been shot down too many times. The ground fire can get a little hectic. They will unload on you with everything they got. A10 is a beast though and can handle most of it. Although it doesnt take much to knock out the flight data computers. That can make landings a little harry, but I've had almost no trouble maneuvering after a hydraulics failure. Should note that the A10 doesnt NOT take 30mm rounds from a ZSU very well. Those things will pop your wing right off. Good times.

Final note, Free Track will work with this. The fix that opens it up in Black Shark works perfectly in Flaming Cliffs 2.

I'll have to make some after action mission reports soon. Just have to figure out where the game stores screen shots.
    Last edited by LordBeer; 05-01-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo

Posts all day

The mission was to provide CAS for advancing troops. Old T72 tanks had taken up position within an abandoned airfield and were holding up the advance of friendly ground forces.

We were coming in fairly low around the mountains. Intel said AA was light but I'd rather be safe.

After the short transit, my wingman forms up for an attack on the tanks.

A view of the battlefield as I launch a Maverick

Say hello to my little friend

I fire off a few rockets at some remaining tanks. This was a bad idea since the ZSU was watching their back and I was out of mavericks.

Mission Successful

4 for 4 on the maverick shots. Got 3 of the targets on the 1st pass

The Dude
    Blog Entries
    luckily I own a copy of this game (LOMAC), but I never bothered installing it....so I guess I just would need to buy Flaming Cliffs?

Posts all day

Flaming Cliffs 2 actually. Dont need to have the 1st one to get the 2nd one running. I guess you will be able to buy a hard copy soon but it's digital distribution only for now. Well worth $30 but it has me dreaming about a HOTAS setup all over again.

Here's a linky to their e-shop

http://lockon.co.uk/

I'm sellin my X52 Beer...theres a thread in the Buy/sell/trade forums.

"A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom' . . . and the other twenty percent isn't very important." - Jubal Harshaw

My Rig: Intel i7-860 | EVGA P55 SLI motherboard | 4096MB Crucial DDR3 1333 | EVGA nVidia GTX 570 | Viewsonic 27" LCD